Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Deep Warm Drunk

The other day I found two of the best things the internet could bring me. A beyond excellent video of Elbow playing the iTunes festival, AND... wait for it... internet radio broadcasts by my favorite singer and frontman, Guy Garvey. And they're current! Not years old.

My response?

Once I got over my initial speechless excitement, that is. He seems to focus this latest broadcast on the new season, autumn. He talks about how his cat chases the squirrels, to no avail, due to the bell he's put around its neck. And he thinks the movie Ray was horrible. Also, he (kinda) slams the harpsichord player in Van Morrison's "Cypress Avenue."

So damned frustrated. A new art gallery here in town is having another exhibit opening/after hours party this weekend. You know, my weekend to WORK. I saw pictures of their previous after hours party and it looks like something I would love. Beer and wine, art, live music... Now they're having another and I can't go. BAH.

I went on a killing spree today. It was kinda needed, with the fly and gnat population tripling (at least) that of my family. Did quite well, with a piece of mail as my weapon. Paper, not chain.

What's so great about the aforementioned video I found? 2:34-2:58. First off, the two ladies playing strings. The one that winks, and the other one with a fun smile... Then of course, Guy Garvey letting the audience sing a particular line and saying "with pleasure" immediately after. I melt every time. The musicians are obviously enjoying themselves. And Guy knows how to please.

It's mostly the "with pleasure" that gets me.

I realized tonight that Guy relaxes me, gets my mind out of the tangled web it's usually in. Other music I barely hear because my thoughts are louder. But when I put on Elbow, my thoughts turn to his voice and the music, and everything else is muted and dimmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment