Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Another Brick in the Ode

Second day of Phlebotomy class earlier today. Yesterday I seemed a bit more my regular self. A bit more enthusiastic about things. Not 100% me, but not the completely placid, uncaring person I've been lately for some reason.

Listened to some of my new music yesterday as well. Kimbra and Depeche Mode. Kimbra was ok, not really what I expected. She is the woman in Gotye's "Somebody I Used To Know" song. However, Depeche Mode... I recently heard their song "Precious" and immediately loved it. Got the whole album it's on (Playing The Angel) and it's pretty good. It's not recent, but it's not old either.

I should be more tired than I am. Went to bed at 5am, woke up at 10, was busy til.. now. 3am. But here I am. With a tasty bloody mary and another excruciatingly long class tomorrow.

Going over stuff I've already gone over, due to already being an employee there, makes me want to say "Do I really have to be here? Tell me when it gets interesting, I'll come back."

Alright, so the other aritst/album I added to my collection and listened to is Trans Siberian Orchestra's "Beethoven's Last Night." It is excellent. Now, I did have to follow the wikipedia article about the album to be able to better understand the music, but it's put together wonderfully, and they made a fantastic fictional story about the deaf composer.

I love the story of Beethoven. Gary Oldman may have contributed to that, but only by portraying him better than any other actor could have. Him being deaf, his frustration. Making masterpieces. His mysterious secret love.

Two of my favorite scenes in Immortal Beloved are the Moonlight Sonata scene, where he lays his head on the piano to feel rather than hear the music, and the Ode To Joy scene at the end. Ode To Joy is powerful, full of crescendos and excitement, and it shows the orchestra playing it, then it shows him standing in front of them... in silence. Unable to hear his own music. According to some accounts, "there is a well-attested story that, at the end of the premiere of his Ninth Symphony, he had to be turned around to see the tumultuous applause of the audience; hearing nothing, he wept."

Yawning is now at a 30-second interval. I must bid adieu. So adieu.

No comments:

Post a Comment