Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Oh My Soul


THIS, dear children, is Elbow's newest album. I acquired and am listening to it, five days before its release. iTunes had an early release and I jumped all over it.

...I'm hearing all-new Guy. And Pete, Craig, Mark, and Richard.

Tonight just got excellent.

Currently listening to "Charge" and it's my favorite so far. (Which is the song their new beer is named after.) It's kinda cheeky, which I love.

Okay. Initial "ermahgerd" over... I'm glad that it's not the same as Dead in the Boot, even though it coulda used more of Guy's , it was still good. I loved "Charge." And "New York Morning" as a single. It's so beautiful. I read that Guy visited NYC (jealous... where was I? Justa few states away. Errg.) and... Oh wow... he came to NYC following a split from his long-term girlfriend. This news is being read as it's being typed... "The singer split from his long-term girlfriend... and subsequently emigrated to America in 2012 in a bid to heal his broken heart." That's... I dunno... "not right" or "unfair" doesn't seem appropriate, but perhaps "unfortunate" is the closest term. While I could fantasize about my chances now that he's less attached, I instead empathize. My thoughts will be with him.

Garvey admits the (NYC) lifestyle change helped him move on from the split, telling British newspaper The Independent, "The comic image that occurred to me was, 'Get me there as soon as possible, put me in a cannon and fire me over the ocean'. I desperately needed to be anonymous, to find out who I am on my own with a truncated love-affair in tow. Approaching 40 and re-evaluating your long-term plans, it was great to have somewhere, and to be in the financial situation where I could just f**k off there when everything was getting heavy... It never solves any long-term problems to geographically run away from sadness, but it's definitely a help to have a sticking-plaster in that wonderful, vibrant, crazy city."

Someone commented on how good "My Sad Captains" is, and I agree. It's good.

"Another sunrise with my sad captains
With whom I choose to lose my mind. 
And if it's all we only pass this way but once
What a perfect waste of time."


And having listened to its entirety... It doesn't have the power that previous albums have had (such as The Seldom Seen Kid  and Leaders of the Free World), but it definitely holds Elbow's signature sounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment